Sunday 12 May 2013

★ GOD's Favorite

John 10:11-16, 27-29

The LORD says, "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness." - Jeremiah 31:3

This content is taken from the daily devotional called The Upper Room. Its written by Nancy Aguilar (Washington).

"As she prayed for me, my friend said to GOD, "Let Nancy know she's your favorite daughter". GOD doesn't have favorites! I thought. I knew GOD couldn't answer a prayer like that.

Later that day,  I came across photos of my dear friend Doreen, who died of bone cancer years earlier.  I remembered her memorial service.  As friends and family told stories about her, several women described themselves as Doreen's closest friend. They're mistaken, I thought. After all, I was her best friend. Doreen had so lavishly,  unselfishly loved us all that each of us thought we were her favorite. She lived so well JESUS' commandment  "to love one another"  that I'd felt completely, unconditionally loved.

The LORD interrupted my memories, speaking gently in my heart, "That's like MY love". I told GOD, I did not understand how that could be so. And GOD said to me, "You don't have to understand.  Only believe. " And I do believe. 

Still I wondered how GOD could love me. I am certainly no saint. Then I remembered the stories of David - a liar,  an adulterer and a murderer and yet he was "a man after GOD's own heart" (Acts 13:22). He was a man after GOD's own heart simply because he loved GOD with total abandon. To my surprise,  I realized that I am GOD'S favorite.  Each one of us is. All HE wants is that we love HIM with all our heart.

Prayer : Dear GOD, thankYOU for YOUR loving-kindness that draws us to YOU. Teach us to trust in YOUR love completely and be utterly lost in YOU...

I am GOD's favorite!  And so are you!



No comments:

Post a Comment